Preface and Navigation Notes

This blog is a compilation of historical note and anecdotes from the like of Kendall Mark Miller, born December 7, 1951, in Newton, Kansas to William Mark Miller and Faye Madaleen Miller (nee Montgomery). I expect it to be a work in progress for an extended time.



It consists of a number of articles as blog entries. The organization is dynamic in nature as I expect articles to be created, expanded, polished, and subdivided over time. There is a table of contents that contains permanent links to the articles in a chronological order. The order of the entries in the blog is basically random. With each session, I expect to create an update entry that summarizes the recent changes. When articles are first created, they may be nothing more than a few keywords to get my thoughts rolling.

The best way to navigate this is to start at the Table of Contents on the side over there.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Abilene

The house we rented in Abilene had been constructed by family that owned the local brick company.  Needless to say it was an all-brick house, including the interior walls.  The bedroom walls painted cinder block.  The floors were all concrete.  There were even some decorative walls made of glass blocks.  The obvious durability of that house gave me the idea that it would be nice for all houses with children to be constructed that way.  Cinder block wall, concrete floors, with a drain in the middle.  Just hose the bedroom down every now and then.

Dad cut a couple of trees out of the back yard.  Then there were these big stumps to remove.  Every day after school, I would go out there and dig around them.  When it got where I couldn't get a shovel into the hole anymore, I started digging with my hands.  I would dig out enough dirt to make a ball and toss it over my shoulder.  I learned then what persistence could do.  Just one handful at I time, I mad an enormous hole around each stump.  Dad was able to easily cut the stumps out below the ground level and fill in the holes.

Read, read, read,  Reader's Digest
Buffalo Gap scouts
Up all night, not-so-magic bus


No comments:

Post a Comment